Queer it up! – including Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression in Youth Work Practice
5-10 November 2017 | Mollina, Málaga, Spain
Queer it Up! is a 5 days European multilateral training course for youth workers. This Training Course aims to explore Sexual Identity and Gender Expression/Identity for those unfamiliar with the LGBT+ collective. The TC will provide participants with the necessary competences to include Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression perspectives in Youth Work Practice and to combat prejudice and discriminatory attitudes.
The TC is recommended for youth workers who are interested in promoting accessible and inclusive youth work, and who are committed to developing their own practice. The training course will also provide an opportunity to build relationships and to help youth workers to network with youth work practitioners from across Europe.
Methods of work
The course methodology in this training is based on experiential learning and non-formal education, in an atmosphere where participants can learn from each other (peer learning) and feel empowered to share their experiences, and critically examine their practice.
Some sessions will be worked in small groups and the theoretical topics both in plenary and small group. Spaces for participants to share experiences will be provided in order for the participants to be more actively involved in the course.
Additionally online live interviews, videos, graphic facilitation and storytelling methods and open space activities, will support the flow of the Training Course.
- To provide the necessary competences to include a positive approach to Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression in youth work practice.
- To explore the specificities and challenges of working with LGBT+ young people in Education settings and European activities.
- To look at the difficulties that LGBT+ young people face and how practitioners can became facilitators for positive change or growth.
- To provide a framework of action and a series of tools to challenge discrimination on the basis of SOGI.
- To offer a space for inquiry and personal growth of participants.
- To raise awareness and acceptance of LGBTI people across the European Union
- To reach citizens, foster diversity and non-discrimination
- To support key actors responsible to promote and advance equal rights for LGBTI people in the EU
- To use Erasmus+ programme as a tool to carry out projects that promote LGBTI Rights, Human Rights and equality.
The Training Course is recommended for Youth workers, Trainers, Youth leaders, Project managers, EVS mentors/tutors, Educators from other sectors
Costs: Hellenic National Agency will cover 95% of your travel costs. Accommodation and food costs will be covered by the National Agency of Spain.
For more information about the training and submission of the application form, you should visit https://www.salto-youth.net/tools/european-training-calendar/training/queer-it-up-including-sexual-orientation-and-gender-identity-and-expression-in-youth-work-practice.6691/
Application Deadline: 17 September 2017
For further information, please contact Mrs. Natassa Dedousi, tel 2131314450, email:firstname.lastname@example.org